Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The magic that was 'Taare Zameen Par'

A lot has been said lately of the movie ‘Taare Zameen Par’ and rightly so. It’s a Hindi movie with a difference. Trust the perfectionist- Aamir Khan to come up with a movie which seems to touch upon so many topics which the mundane movie makers shy away from.

What made this movie so special to me was the atmosphere in which I saw the film. The movie theatre was really a sight to be seen. There were small ones, the in-between ones, middle aged ones, old people..you name it! I guess you tend to notice people around you much more when you’re alone.

I was lucky enough to be seated next to the cutest old couple I’ve seen for a long time. If I have what they seemed to have at that age, I’ll consider myself blessed :) The old man kept on taking his handkerchief out during the emotional scenes, wipe his eyes with it and then would promptly proceed to wipe the tears streaming down his wife's face or discreetly hand it over to her to do it on her own.

This Hindi movie is suitable for all ages. That doesn't happen every day! How often do you see kids going berserk at the sight of the animated fish at the beginning of the movie and people sitting down to watch the credits as if refusing to acknowledge the fact that the movie has come to an end? What I loved about the movie is the fact that there were so many thoughts that you could take back home with you. I like the fact that each person I meet these days seems to have a different take on the movie but are in universal agreement that this movie is 'special'.

It's a conversation-starter, ended up bringing tears to most eyes, a must-see for those like me who love watching movies that showcase the triumph of the under-dog. It made me realise that kids can be mean, that we all have our own role to play in the intrigue and misunderstanding surrounding this disorder, that we can make a difference in someone else's life if we want to, that sometimes just wanting to help doesn't work (you have to just do it), that even a small gesture could mean the world to someone..to name a few!

For those of you who haven't watched this movie, think again. Maybe you should :) If you'd completely written off Hindi movies, this might help put a wee bit of faith back in the system. The show must go on :D

No comments: