Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Hard Day's Night

It was a couple of years ago when I was going through that nerve-wracking phase of college admissions. I had secured over 80 percent, yet I wasn't sure if I could even clear the list of colleges offering courses in pure science.

Throughout the whole process, I was filled with this complete sense of frustration over what seemed to be astronomical cut-off lists. It's not that I am opposed to competition. I am fully aware that competition helps us to perform better. But there has to be a limit. I think it's unfortunate that so much pressure is put on individuals who have barely reached the threshold of life. So much pressure, that some are even driven to suicide. And as if board exams aren't enough, these 17-18 year olds have entrance exams to deal with. I really don't envy these guys one bit.

Knowledge, it seems, has now taken a back seat. All that seems to matter is how well the student is able to master the "pattern". Aren't board exams supposed to be just another set of final exams testing the student's knowledge in a particular subject?

I think it's high time that somebody realizes that awarding 90 percent is not the sole aim of having board exams. It's not enough that they just 'realize' it. Something has to be done to change the system.

In my case, I eventually did manage to get into a college. These days, some might even call it a 'reputed' college. But it pains me to think of those who deserved better colleges and didn't get into them.

4 comments:

david santos said...

I loved this post!
Happy day

R!@ said...

@ david - thank you for dropping by :)

Kodi said...

I'd back you to the hilt on this line of thought.

M0H!TH said...

I think we can start by stop making a student feel that doing bad in the exam is the end of the world