Sunday, January 17, 2010

Man is a social animal

Okay, okay, I’ve been out of the circuit for quite some time now, I agree….

Was just going through the grinds of life…and still am, but I am tired of making it an issue!!!

What do you do to beat the blues? Especially the nasty, horrible oh-god-it's-Monday-so-soon kind of blues? What inspires you and keeps you going? If you're sharing, I am listening.

You may wonder about the title of this article, I have to admit..I did :) It's one of those quotes that we heard in school (where one had to write countless essays on the topic) and yet somehow if it comes up again, there's still so much to write!

Why is man a social animal, why is it that we feel the primal need to socialize as strongly (and sometimes more) as the need to feed? I read somewhere recently that the first few weeks of the new year usually see the highest number of suicides and depression cases. If you think about..the reason seems simple enough. Christmas and New year festivities have died down. The new year resolutions have been broken by now and getting back to work after all the 'happy times' is not exactly joyous for most people. I'm sure the weather also has a role to play in all of this. It has been at least 5 days since I have seen the sun for any significant length of time. The snow has long melted and it is dreary, dull, wet, cold and grey outside.

And then you have the opposite side of the coin. When people become too familiar...you're spending way too much time with someone and they're getting on your nerves! The closer we get, the more negatives we find; the farther away we go, the more we remember the good times.




3 comments:

Kavita said...

When I get to that stage where I'm all irritable about lil nothings with some of my favourite people(I know, so wrong, and yet....), I just try not to get out as much, listen to music, read, sleep etc, until I feel the hermit in me is ready for some fun in the sun again. Eh, just bits of alone time and space, as opposed to hibernation where the world gives up on me!:-)

R!@ said...

that's what I usually do too :) Works very well! but not on Monday morning..hehe..

Rohit said...

Last Line.... You said it!