Saturday, February 2, 2008

Random thoughts

It is the small things that bring home the fact that I am growing older. Like when a small kid looks up at you (after you've given him what seems like a gazzilion piggy-back rides) and asks you "Are you a kid or an adult?" It almost felt like I had a truck ramming against my head and my mind went completely blank for a few seconds. When I asked him what he thought I was..the answer was "I don't know..you tell me!" Kids, I tell you. Trust them to ask you just the right questions.

Anyhoo (I've always wanted to use that word :P)..I've had quite a lot of free time during the nights lately. And I chanced upon a couple of poems by Vikram Seth..I think I now have a new favourite author. Here are two which just seemed to make sense.

All Those who Sleep Tonight

All you who sleep tonight
Far from the ones you love,
No hand to left or right
And emptiness above -

Know that you aren't alone
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years.

- Vikram Seth

Time Zones

I willed my love to dream of me last night
That we might lie
At peace, if not beneath a single sheet,
Under one sky.

I dreamed of her but she could not alas
Humour my will;
It struck me suddenly that where she was
Was daylight still.

- Vikram Seth

1 comment:

gsk said...

i really like the second poem...