Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's A Small World After All

By now, some of you may have noticed that most of my posts have song titles for headings. I'm a big one for theme songs and relating songs to real life experiences and sometimes even people. Most songs have a memory attached to it and it's a 'feel-good' strategy that I've developed over the years. There's usually a song that'll get me out of a crappy mood!

This is the song that rang through my head today as I was sitting (yes,sitting for a change!) on the bus on my way back home. I was indulging in my usual pass-the-time activity i.e. watching the world go by when I actually saw a familiar face in the bus going in the opposite direction! Granted, I was never really pals with the guy back in college but it was a familiar face nonetheless.

And like most other mundane things in life, it got me thinking :P Who would've thought that the chances of meeting or even seeing a familiar face in this big city that I temporarily call 'home' would be so high? As it turns out, pretty high indeed because this isn't the first time it's happened since I got here. I'd almost forgotten about the time I was introduced to a person with the word 'Kodialbail' on his name-tag and we ended up having a lot of common friends from back home! Or the time I was in Khan Market during my first few weeks in Delhi and I see an old junior from school while we were both waiting for those mouth-watering kabab rolls at Khan Chacha's (damn, I'm hungry). And what about the time I was introduced to a girl who was attending a conference at IHC and the only thought running through my head at the time was how much she reminded me of a junior from college? Surprise..surprise..they turned out to be cousins!

So I've come to one conclusion..if you have your roots in Kerala, have been brought up in Manipal, studied in Vellore (please note..all these places have a floating population) and have a mother who doesn't have a problem communicating even if the other person doesn't speak the same language (I'm not kidding, she once had a full fledged conversion with my uncle's Spanish housekeeper), the chances of you meeting people you know, people who know people you know or even people your parents know is VERY high. I can try saying that these kind of chance meetings will not surprise me from now onwards but that would be a lie. I have a strong feeling that I'll still get goosebumps, be embarassed for a few seconds and suddenly find myself at a loss for words.

Hehe..but it's a nice feeling :) To think that it's a small world after all...

3 comments:

Rehana said...

Hey!
This is pretty cool!!:)
Man, who'd have thought that you'd actually end up meeting people you know, in Delhi of all places.. that city has a population of so many millions!!!:)

R!@ said...

@ hana- I didn't think I would anyone I knew here! Let alone see someone who I knew :P

gsk said...

how come I'm not meeting anyone I know now a days? :P Maybe the world in Delhi is small and in the US it is little bigger... come to think of it, it must be huge in Kenya!!??